Navigation and Orientation

- Keep a clearly marked home link on all interior pages.
- Always clearly label your navigation.
- Do not mix internal with external links in the same navigation feature.
- External links in general should be marked as such.
- Use breadcrumbs.
- Highlight the user’s location in the navigation.
- Always include a search option. (with exceptions)
- Use a sitemap.

Check: Navigation: You Are Here by NN Group

Wayfinding has four core components:
- Orientation: Where am I am right now?
- Route decisions: Can I find the way to where I want to go?
- Mental mapping: Are my experiences consistent and understandable enough to know where I’ve been and to predict where I should go next?
- Closure: Can I recognize that I have arrived in the right place?

Check: Navigation and Wayfinding






Navigation Mistakes to avoid:




Good Navigation Examples:

Smith Brothers – descriptive, concise navigation



Independent Publishers Group – descriptive, grouped navigation




Sweat Vac – descriptive, concise navigation with short labels




Kiefer Swimwear – descriptive, ordered navigation




EuroFurniture – ordered navigation with mega drop downs